Practice

Practice

Saturday 11 February 2017

Stars Can't Shine Without Darkness

I never thought in a million years I would be writing a blog but for various reasons, here I am! Initially I thought my only reason was that I was told to do it to support the Middlesex University''s BAPP Arts course I am undertaking. 
I have been putting off this inevitable task as I have no idea what to write. Do I post for myself, as if writing a diary? Or do I try and think of witty fascinating subjects to talk about? However, recent events have caused me to rethink a lot of things and I now feel a mixture of the two will be most beneficial to me. So, I decided I could no longer procrastinate and needed to make a start... Often in times of stress and sadness we are told to let it out; free your heart of the burden; write it down.




Yesterday morning, I was on my way to work and whilst sat at some traffic lights I was debating some recent choices I have made. Although I am proud of many of these choices, I have been troubled by one in particular. Have you ever made a choice that afterwards you have been so disappointed in yourself you feel sick? Well, this was one of those moments. I have been going over and over this, wondering why I did the wrong thing, knowing someone would get hurt. I like to pride myself on treating people kindly and I can't fathom what happened this time. Everything happens for a reason, right? But surely not at the expense of others feelings. My week has been spent in this manner, but it gets to a point where you can't dwell on the past and you have to pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again. Just as I had decided to stop feeling sorry for myself and move forward, a skip truck went straight into the back of my car.... Lying on a stretcher in the middle of the road made me realise how lucky I am in my life - also showed karma got me good.





Anyway, what I am trying to say is, whatever happens in our lives all we can do is strive to be the best we can be. Whether it is for academic development or simply to live a life we can be proud of. 



2 comments:

Paula Nottingham said...

Jennifer - what a story! the theme and the reflection flows from this personal share - reflection is like that - it comes in different ways - you mention several things - sometimes cited as critical incidents - but your topic of choices rings true for reflection - and life choices or happenings (car accidents) can be difficult and unexpected - reading your blog has actually made me think of the importance of thinking through these difficult moments to find continuity and structure.

Amanda said...

Hi Jennifer
I just read all your blogs in one go. In the industry we have chosen its important to have self-belief and to be confident and sometimes we need to be tough whilst staying human. I admire your honesty and think you've got the balance right. Amanda