Practice

Practice

Sunday 24 September 2017

Module 2 - Reader 4 - Section 1


Enquiry - The act of asking for information

'Researchable questions set in motion a process of discovery that pursues meaning, cause, relationship, interpretation or significance' (Hanstein 1999 p.27)

These next two modules are 'a way to learn what you are doing whilst doing it' (Reader 4, pg5) this can be achieved by ''examining what you do in order to 'ask the right questions' '' (Reader 4, pg5).  The main aim is to 'engage with relevant problems and scenarios, draw on existing knowledge, seek out new evidence, analyse and present that evidence in appropriate ways' (O'Rourke 2004). Sounds easy when you you put it that way....

We have all just completed a Module based on reflection - looking at our practice and finding ways to improve it. However, more often than not we go about our day to day activities doing things without thinking. Have you ever been driving and thought 'have I been over that roundabout yet?'. Yes? Well, I think that goes for a lot of us, we run on auto-pilot. In dance, we have muscle memory, our bodies know what comes next in the routine before our brains have caught up. Using reflection in Module 1 and writing in my journal has helped me be more present and focused on my actions. I now think, 'are the tactics I use in work habit or are they purposeful choices I have learnt to help my practice?', 'why did I choose to approach that situation like that?', 'is there a better way?', ' what can I take forward from this experience?'.

It is important when reflecting to not look back on possible mistakes and feel down about it. Onwards and upwards!!! We reflect to improve, this is why I much prefer to reflect as close to the event as possible. Another thing I have learnt, is that I use reflection a lot on situations I have observed more effectively than I do in situations including myself.

Work Based Learning ' promotes the awareness of the workplace as a learning environment and uses this to extend the learners capability and individual effectiveness' (Durrant et al2009 p1 - Reader 4 p7). I feel this notion is relevant to me as I am still evolving my practice from performer to educator, I am constantly learning and developing my practice.

When looking into possible inquiries, they should have purpose and intent. If the matter is personal to me, I will be more passionate about the end result to reap the benefits and therefore benefit others around me.

'living my life as an inquiry' (Marshall 2001 p6)
This statement struck a cord with me, as it made me think: Why would I only want to better my professional practice? What about my personal practice? After all, we work to live not live to work!




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jennifer,

I really interesting read as I have only just started Module Two Handbook, so I am yet to discover what this has in store for us.

I have question about the readers. Are these the 16/17 readers that you are using? As I can't find any other readers on my UniHub

Emily x

Jennifer Simm said...

Yes they are, I was also worried at first but it is the only one on there xxxx